The Jewish Board Senior Milieu Counselor - Direct Support Professional in New York, New York
The Senior Milieu Counselor will perform all duties performed with the title Milieu Counselor. Work with children or adolescents in a residential treatment setting and is responsible for ensuring that those portions of the treatment plan which deals with day today and independent living skills are implemented.
RESPONSIBILITES include but not limited to:
* Assist the Team Leader in the orientation of new Milieu Counselors.
* Lead at least one weekly community meeting.
* Act as liaison between milieu staff and the Administrator on Duty regarding treatment planning and implementation.
* Represent Team Leader at meetings, when designated.
* Ensure the proper implementation of the Apartment routine and structure when the Team Leader or Milieu Supervisor is not present in the facility. [Please note: The Sr. Milieu Counselor will display leadership skills in this area; not provide direct supervision]
* Responsible for day‑by‑day care of the children in the program including supervision of personal hygiene, social guidance, use of leisure time, and food planning and preparation.
* Develop, supervise and run activity sessions
* Accompany clients on trips and outings and supervise activities
* May be called upon to work one on one with a client who is displaying significant stress or assist with management issues as they relate to clients.
* If required, perform therapeutic restraint should a child be out of control. All employees are required to attend appropriate restrain training prior to performing such a restraint
* Drive the child to medical, social or other necessary appointments or assist in returning clients to the campus who are Absent Without Leave
* Shares their experience and observation of the children under care with the treatment team and immediately bri ngs to the attention of the supervisor any unusual issues
* May be required to cook/prepare meals for residents within their cottage or division.
Minimum educational level of a High School Diploma. Minimum work experience of two years' regular in‑house experience working within a residential treatment program.