Muscular Dystrophy Association, Inc. Healthcare Communications Supervisor in New York, New York
OurPurpose: AtMDA, we are fighting to free individuals - and the families who love them -from the harmful effects of muscle-debilitating diseases so they can livelonger and grow stronger.
Our Values are ourstrength: We believe in MUSCLE:
Mission: We're driven to accelerate progress forfamilies and muscle health.
Understanding: We're attentive to our constituent's needsand each other's.
Stewardship: By investing precious resources wisely, wedrive the best possible outcomes.
Collaboration: We foster win-win partnerships and buildcommunities.
Learning: Knowledge powers our success and empowers ourpeople.
Excellence: We strive to do our best and exceedconstituents' expectations.
We are seekingan established healthcare/medical communications and education supervisor tohelp develop and shape our new Healthcare Partnerships Communications team.This will be a unique opportunity within the non-profit landscape to lead ourmedical communications offerings. This position will reside within the Missionteam under the Healthcare Partnerships Division and oversee our medicaleducation, scientific and community education programs as well as liaisedirectly with individual supporters/sponsors.As this is a new department for the MDA, this role will have significantopportunity to help shape our process, organization, and initiatives and becomeinvolved in several larger Mission initiatives. Strong organizational andproject management skills are a must to manage multiple initiatives acrosshealthcare provider, patient/caregiver, PR, digital, social media and eventcommunications.
Working with theHealthcare Partnership team directly
- Triage and manage all healthcare/medical communications activities within the MDA Mission team and managing our selected healthcare agencies to execute these activities
- Work closely with our larger Mission staff including Scientific Research, Advocacy and Care Center Teams to support our scientific communications and field education resources
- Manage internal and agency resources for the execution and implementation of educational initiatives (live, print, digital execution) across traditional medical education, digital channels, and PR
- Partner with business development and income teams to manage sponsor/supporter interactions including attending meetings and crafting relationships
- Craft and develop new education and communication offerings to support the ever-changing neuromuscular disease landscape that will benefit multidisciplinary healthcare providers, patients and their families
- As the team grows, determining staffing needs and day-to-day leadership and management with his/her manager
- ProblemSolving: Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzesinformation skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in groupproblem solving situations; Uses reason even when dealing with emotionaltopics.
- Dependability:Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibilityfor own actions; Keeps commitments; Commits to long hours of work whennecessary to reach goals. Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriateperson with an alternate plan.
- Professionalism- Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treatsothers with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position;Accepts responsibility for own actions; Follows through on commitments.
- Detail minded: Demonstrate accuracy and thoroughness;monitor own work to ensure quality and organization. Strong attention to detail whilemultitasking.
- Communication Skills: Clearly andpersuasively communicate, listen and seek clarifications; participate in meetings,write clearly and informatively. Initiative - Demonstrate ability to workindependently and as part of a team; exhibit sound and accurate judgment,including prioritization and time management skills. Able to provide support tomultiple team members simultaneously.
- Computer Skills: Advanced levelproficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, ability to learn and adapt to newtechnologies.
- CustomerService: Prioritizes internal andexternal interactions and responds appropriately.
- Flexibility:Able to multitask in a changing work environment. Manage competing demands and unexpectedevents. Willing to change approach to best fit the situation.
- Drive: Motivated to develop and exceedbusiness plans and to clearly set expectations and goals. Establish and maintain collaborativerelationships.
- Initiative: Measure self against astandard of excellence. Undertake self-development activities and learnnew skills; seek increased responsibilities and ask for and offer help whenneeded.
- Approximately 5-10 years' experience inhealthcare/medical communications, ideally within a medical communicationsagency
- 2-3 years' experience as a manager, leadingteams (both direct reports and extended teams)
- Strong and demonstrable client/account managementskills building long-term relationships within the healthcare community
- Bachelor's degree in the sciences and/orcommunications is preferred but not necessary
MDA is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.