New York Genome Center Senior Software Engineer II in New York, New York
The New York Genome Center (NYGC) is an independent, non-profit organization that leverages the collaborative resources of leading academic medical centers, research universities, and commercial organizations. Our vision is to transform medical research and clinical care in New York and beyond through the creation of one of the largest genomics facilities in North America, integrating sequencing, bioinformatics, and data management, as well as performing cutting-edge genomics research.
The New York Genome Center is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, or protected veteran status. The New York Genome Center takes affirmative action in support of its policy to hire and advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
We are searching for a senior software engineer to lead the implementation of novel data visualization tools and overall user interface development for a new Genomics Data Repository to serve the broad genomic medicine community and our collaborating New York medical centers in particular.
The ideal candidate will be a pragmatic team player with experience developing and supporting production-quality software, with experience in data visualization, usability, and databases. Knowledge of big data environments is useful, as is experience in scientific environments. Knowledge of genomics is not required. While the primary responsibilities of this position are user interface-related, experience in software development is important.
Essential duties and responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Collaborate with bio-informatics scientists, clinical researchers and other stakeholders to gather requirements for a genomic and clinical data repository and associated interfaces and visualization tools.
- Work with a leading scientific visualization designer to specify graphical interfaces and repository requirements to develop the toolset.
- Participate as a member of the data repository group in defining overall data, domain, and user requirements for the repository product.
- Prototype, develop, test, deploy, document, and support production-quality software.
- Assist with development of other parts of the project as requirements dictate.
- Integrate with and build connections to other genomic repositories.
- Build and manage secure interfaces and access to private data.
- Be interested in and willing to learn about genomics and the infrastructure requirements for supporting genomic sciences.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- BS in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related field plus 10 years related experience; master’s degree plus 8 years related experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience;
- UI and visualization expertise is needed.
- Ability to produce readable, documented code is essential.
- Experience with relational, columnar, array, or multi-dimensional databases is a plus.
- Ability to develop code anticipating additions and changes, and supporting modifiability and modularity is important.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and flexibility to work with changing requirements is essential. The entire field of genomics is evolving rapidly and the tools needed to support it must change as well.
- Experience with version control and source code management systems (e.g.,GIT).
- Familiarity with agile development
- Effective written and oral communication skills.
Competencies To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Analytical – Synthesizes complex or diverse information; collects and researches data.
- Design – Finds elegant solutions to technical problems; constantly seeks improved performance and reliability.
- Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully.
- Interpersonal Skills – Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; maintains confidentiality.
- Written Communication – Writes clearly and informatively; edits work for spelling and grammar; varies writing style to meet needs; able to read and interpret written information.
- Teamwork – Balances team and individual responsibilities; contributes to building a strong corporate culture.
- Quality – Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; looks for ways to improve and promote quality.
- Initiative – Takes independent actions and calculated risks; asks for and offers help when needed.
- Flexibility – Expects user requirements to change and works to accommodate such changes.
Tracking Code: 241-105
Job Location: New York, New York, United States
Position Type: Full-Time/Regular