Albert Einstein College Scientific Facilities Coordinator in New York, New York
Founded in 1955, the Albert Einstein College of Medicine (Einstein) is one of the nation’s premier institutions for medical education, basic research and clinical investigation. A full-time faculty of some 2,000 conducts research, teaches, and delivers health care in every major biomedical specialty. The college has some 730 medical students, 193 Ph.D. students, 106 MD/Ph.D. students and 275 postdoctoral fellows.
Einstein’s major strength, in addition to training physicians and scientists, is its science. During fiscal year 2015, the faculty’s consistently high level of scientific achievement resulted in the awarding of more than $150 million in peer-reviewed grants from the National Institutes of Health (NIH).
Einstein is part of Montefiore Medicine Academic Health System, an integrated academic delivery system comprising seven campuses, including 8 hospitals, a multi-county ambulatory network, a new state-of-the art “hospital without beds”, a skilled nursing facility, school of nursing, home health agency, and the state’s first freestanding emergency department. As the University Hospital for the Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Montefiore is a premier academic health system, employing Einstein’s clinical faculty and training Einstein’s medical students, over 1,300 residents, 420 allied health students, and 1,600 nursing students annually.
The Albert Einstein College of Medicine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information. Einstein seeks candidates whose skills, and personal and professional experience, have prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence, and the communities we serve.
Scientific Facilities Coordinator
The Department of Neuroscience maintains a number of shared facilities and Cores. These range from simple everyday use equipment such as autoclaves and ice machines, to gel scanners, confocal microscopes, microtomes, and stereotaxic surgical suites. The duties of the Scientific Facilities Coordinator would entail:
- Oversight and maintenance of the shared facilities (space and equipment) as directed. This would include both ensuring that the equipment are well-maintained and functional, and ensuring that the shared facilities (space and equipment) are clean, presentable, and safe;
- Training of users of the facility (faculty, staff, students, postdocs, etc) in the use of the shared facility equipment. This would require that the Coordinator understands the function and use of each shared equipment, and is fully capable of operating and training the users. Prior knowledge of the equipment would be welcome, but not essential for all items as the department can train the manager in their use;
- The Departmental Shared facilities include services such as Image Analysis, printing of posters, 3D design and printing of small laboratory items etc. It is likely that the facilities manager would also contribute to these services and efforts;
- Research the cost of replacing or repairing scientific equipment for the department to provide the best alternative and most cost effective equipment.
- Record keeping, and processing of user fees for the shared facilities as directed;
- Check operational fitness of scientific equipment;
- Keeps inventories of Departmental equipment, and manages service contracts;Helps PIs with equipment-related issues.
- Other functions, services and responsibilities as directed.
The Scientific Facilities Coordinator will be under the supervision of the Departmental Administrator, and will report directly to the Chair, and/or his designated person or persons as needed.
- Bachelor's Degree with a Science major; Master's degree preferred.
- 3-5 years of related experience
Job ID: 2017-10331
Campus: Einstein/Resnick - Bronx
Posting Date: 6/19/2017
Employee Classification: Exempt
Position Type: Regular Full-Time